Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Pity My Feet Please :(

So, have you ever tried standing for about...oh say 10 hours straight? I have--once. That was the day of our wedding. My feet were killing me because let me tell you, the shoes I wore were INSANELY unconfortable, and the shoes I replaced the uncomfortable ones with weren't much of an improvement. Now, according to my sister-in-law (recently a graduated and licensed massage therapist), standing and walking on your bare feet is healthier and more beneficial to your foot muscles than it is to wear flip flops, heels, or even tennis shoes. You'd think that after a day of standing and walking and jumping in water (where you're more bouyant) that I wouldn't have such achey feet right? WRONG! My feet are aching all over. My goal for the night...bribe a foot rub out of my tired and achy husband. We'll see how that goes.

*****break for 20 minutes*****

The foot rub hurt. A lot. But now my feet feel a tad better. :D

Since I'm teaching swim lessons every day all day nearly every day of the week, it makes sense to mention a few memorable moments, such as these:

---My name is called to teach a beginner level toddler swim class, followed by the kids in my class. A little girl in a neon pink suit walks up with her mom, clinging to the mom's hand. Her mom tells me her name, which I promptly forget, and then walks away to watch. The girl walks over with the class of kids and we start getting our feet wet in the water. She bursts into tears. :( "Sweetie?" I ask, "What's your name?" Tearfully she replies, "M-m-maya." "Oh! What a pretty name! Do you like your name?" Shaking her head just as sadly, she tells me, "no." I didn't know what to say to that...

---My first class of the morning at the public pool was beginner (caught on have you?). One boy and his mom walk up to join the class and I ask him his name: "Shrig," he tells me excitedly. I looked at his mom for some help. Rolling her eyes, she corrects him, "It's Trig."  Talk about needing a little speech help, I thought to begin with....25 minutes later.....I was SO wrong. This kid can talk. He never STOPS. I swear, if I put my hand over his mouth to muffle his chatter, he'd keep jabbering. As soon as my hand moved away, he'd likely pick right up where he was in whatever story he was telling me. I sure hope he enjoys talking as much about his namesake math topic one day.

---Final story: swim team. I love coaching. It's a blast and the kids are great. Like Colton. Little blondie with skin more tan than mine. Crying in line while we waited to do warm-ups. I bent down and asked him what was wrong. "I forgot my goggles..." he says, crying again. He's five or six by the way. "Well, do you want to borrow mine?" I ask. "No," he tells me, "I want my own." Finally convincing him he'd like to have some goggles, even if they aren't his, he asks me this question: "Are they girls' goggles?" (They're grey and have absolutely no gender specific traits.) I laughed and told him, "nope." "Ok, I guess I can use them." Priceless.

Anywho, tah-tah for now. I need sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment