Sunday, January 25, 2015

BoomBoom!

"Boomboom!" a little voice cries! "Ahoomahhoom!"

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom!

A told B and B told C, "I'll meet you at the top of the coconut tree!"

Tap tap clap clap! the little hands go. 

"Boomboom!" the little voice chimes.

"Wee!" says D to E, F, G. "I'll beat you to the top of the coconut tree!"

Chicka chicka boom boom! Will there be enough room?

"Boomboom booh  (book)!" my little man says to me, a serious expression on his face. 

Eagerly, he turns the pages, pointing to each letter when he is able to pause and take a break from gulping milk from the now nearly empty cup. 

The whole alphabet, up the-----OH NO!

"Uh oh!" he tells me, hands out to express his worry. 

We turn the page. 

Chicka Chicka BOOM BOOM!

"Boomboom" he murmurs. 

Skit skat doodle dat, flip flop flee! Everybody's running to the coconut tree! Mommas and papas and uncles and aunts hug their little dears and dust their pants!

He snuggles close at the word momma and pats me on the chest. "Momma" he whispers, content. 

And the sun goes down on the coconut tree...

But...

A is out of bed and this is what he said, "Dare double dare, you can't catch me; I'll beat you to the top of the coconut tree!"

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom!

*****

We have read this book together every night, nearly every nap, for the last week. 

Such a classic alphabet book, and it fast became a favorite of Joshua's! When we finish the story, we sing the ABC's and point to the letter "J" and point it out in his room as well. (He has a big J on the wall). Tonight, when I got to the letter J, Joshua tapped it with excitement! It's so amazing to me that in just a short week of talking about letters he has already grasped the importance of his own name's first letter. :) He is incredible!

Reading this book with Joshua has become a special time for me. We still read our other favorites, "Love you Forever," "Curious George" the puppet book, "That's not my tractor," and "I know that my Savior loves me." But Chicka Chicka boom boom has reached the "kiss goodnight" status. 

Sweetest moment of every night is when my 16 month old (yes he's only 2 months away from nursery...) leans over to the book, sometimes the pictures of Jesus, sometimes the ABC book, and kisses it multiple times. He then leans over and plops a sloppy, (currently booger slimed) kiss on my face. 

This last few weeks, even though Joshua has been more difficult to handle in many ways, he has also been the sweetest and most tender boy I remember him being in his small short life so far. 

I love my role as his mother and hope I can continue to teach him as well as I can in everything he needs to learn throughout his journey in life. 

He's a boy on a journey! He sure loves visiting his Aunts and Uncles at Grandma and Grandpa's house!

Here's to the last week in February! Only one more week till the month we move to a new home!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment