Sunday, June 17, 2012

Of burning, biting, and other things...

1. Of Burning...

So yesterday was interesting. I promised my sister-in-law that I'd make an apple pie for my father-in-law's birthday party last night. So Saturday morning comes around, I have all the apples, and no apple-peeler-corer from Pampered Chef. Danny ran to borrow that from my Mom. A couple of hours later, the apples were peeled, cored, sliced, and sugared up, the pie dough was awaiting formation, and the oven was on.

Pie one of two went in the oven.

Fifteen minutes into pie one's cook time, I realized I forgot the secret cube of butter that makes it boil over with sugary apple juices. Rolling my eyes, I just left it to go.

45 minutes later: Pie one has boiled over completely, the sugary stuffs is sticking and bubbling in the oven. We're all good to bake pie number two right?

WRONG! Being me, however, I decided turning the heat up again to start cooking pie two would be A-okay!

The oven started smoking. Furiously.

Cautiously, I opened the oven door. Flames. Yep, there were flames in the bottom of my oven, threatening to jump out the door!

Long story short, I called for Danny in what I thought at the time was a pretty panicky voice. It must not have been cuz he came pretty slowly lol. We threw open doors and windows and I took the five-minute cooked pie I was baking for my Dad for Father's Day out of the still-smoking oven.

Self-clean cycle should do the trick, right? Eh, kinda. It still smoked enough to make me nervous about burning down our house, but it burnt the sugary goodness to ash. Awesome right?

This is how it turned out-yummy I hope! 



2. Of Biting...

So you know how when you have little kids you're watching (whether your own or someone else's) and you just know if you turn your back for even the tiniest split second, that something bad will happen? Well, today in nursery, I had the most extreme reminder:

One little boy is super mellow, almost always willing to do what you ask and usually super nice to the other little kids. (You should know that today was a nursery of five VERY energetic boys). Another boy, who for the purpose of this post I'll nickname the 'Lil Biter, LOVES to give hugs. Big giant bear hugs that send whomever he hugs careening to the floor in a heap.

There's probably only five-ten minutes until all the kids mom's and dad's come to get them. And both of us nursery leaders made that teensie weensie mistake: we turned our back on the 'Lil Biter for just a split second.

It was just long enough for us to turn around and see him laying on top of the other little boy (the mellow one). He looked like he was just trying to give him a huge hug. But low and behold, he had latched onto his friend. Literally.

The poor little guy had teeth marks on his cheek from our 'Lil Biter! :(

Come to find out, the other leader's son got bit in primary. Small world huh? Despite this little escapade, I still have to say, I love being in nursery. :D

3. And Other Things...

I LOVE Pinterest, which is why I'll share a few little secrets. Today's secret is this:

-- The "Sock" Bun: This is one of my all-time favorite hair-dos. It's quick, easy, and looks pretty dang cute if I do say so myself. I prefer to use a "filler" scrunchie from Sally Beauty, about 4-5 bucks. It's more sanitary than an actual sock stolen from your husband, dad, or brother's drawer. Who knows where their feet have been...

               I pull my hair into a pony tail and shape it however I like best. For those of you who know me well, you know I tease my hair. I do so a little bit for this hair-do. Then I take my scrunchie and, starting and the end of my pony tail, I pull the hair through and under the scrunchie, forming this pretty "Cinderella" bun:

Tah-dah! Here's a link to the actual video I learned from. Enjoy!

http://aspottedpony.com/for-moms/how-to-use-a-sock-to-get-beautiful-curly-hair-without-heat/1517/

This link is where I learned it from, but they use it to make curly hair. I didn't like how my hair turned out with the curls, but I love, love, love the bun! Have fun!



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the link. My sock buns turn out a lot more messy than yours do. I like messy sometimes, but yours are always very pretty. I'll have to check it out and get some additional advise. :)

    ReplyDelete