Monday, March 21, 2016

Easter Bunny Scripture Eggs

Earlier this weekend, I went to Hobby Lobby with my 2 year old Joshua to return a few things. 

It being Hobby Lobby, I was of course naturally drawn to look at the current holiday decor. I haven't been to my craft night in a few months with a new baby, so I was itching for some cute spring and Easter decor at a modest price. ;) 

Hobby Lobby didn't disappoint! I found an adorable spring wreath, a green grass bunny rabbit, a GIANT nesting Easter egg (it's huge and Joshua made me get it...) and this cute little thing: 


Joshua was in LOVE. 

He seriously couldn't stop touching it. It's just a small little wood chip bunny. Not exactly the most toddler proof, but not very breakable either. cost? 6 bucks. I'm sure you could find something cheaper at walmart or the dollar store. 


All weekend, whenever someone came over to the house (Sunday we had all of our family over) he would confidently tell them that it was his "easter bunny. It lays me eggs!" 

Naturally, after hearing this a few times, I as his oh so observant mother just had to make that come true. 



So with a little creativity and Pinterest, I helped his bunny lay him some eggs. 

For those of you who don't know my faith well, in the LDS religion, we are encouraged to set apart one night a week for special family bonding and teaching time. We call this family home evening. Growing up we always tried to have it on Monday nights, but there isn't a rule about what night it should ideally happen on. ;) 

Our family night activity then was this:


I gathered together 6 plastic Easter eggs from my basket stash and numbered them to match the scriptures at this link: 

http://www.ohmyglory.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/easter-scripture-hunt.pdf

Supplies to create this activity: 
6-10 (depending on your preference) plastic easter eggs. You can get them for a couple bucks at walmart if you don't have any on hand

one smallish bunny, stuffed or decorative, to "lay the eggs" Small is funny to me cuz the egg obviously could never come out of that size of a bunny, even if bunnies did really lay eggs. ;) 

the printable linked above 

Yes I know there are 10 scriptures and six eggs--we doubled up on a few eggs! I printed this sheet of scriptures, cut out the numbered verses and stuffed them in the eggs with a couple little snacks for Joshua to find. (We don't really do candy at our house too often, so I had to improvise with raisins...)


Then I "sneakily" laid the first egg out by our bunny and left it for our toddler to find after he finished his dinner. Boy was he excited. You should have seen his face. Sorry--I didn't take a photo--but I wish I had! It was like a dream come true to his little toddler imagination. 

Simple, quick and now I'll just save it for next Easter again when our new baby girl is older and can enjoy it more with us. 



Happy Easter everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment