Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Clean Eating Series: How Do I feed a family while I eat healthy??

So many times, I have people ask me how I figure out what to feed my family while I'm striving to eat healthy. 

I have a hard time explaining this because it's really not complicated at all! Just stop overthinking it. 

My secret? 

I promise I'll tell you. 

eventually. 






.

...
......
..........
................................ :) ...............................
...........
........
.....
...
.




I make healthy substitutions. 



Yep. that's all there is to it. 

If I know something isn't as healthy for me, I simply search out or just test out a healthier option. 

Don't over think eating healthy. Keep it simple and stick to what you know as you start trying to eat more healthy foods. You don't have to have a crazy awesome plan--just use your resources! Ask me, google it, or pinterest it. I promise if you have a comfort food, SOMEONE out there also has that comfort food and they have created a healthy option. :) 



Here are a few substitutions I've made in the last few years....

Mayo => olive oil and dijon mustard with some lemon juice


Canned/store bought Marinara Sauce => homemade marinara sauce (see previous post for this recipe)

White flour => whole wheat flour, or better yet, oat flour, or a gluten free option like almond flour, coconut flour, etc. 

Sour Cream => plain Greek yogurt (Fage from Costco is my favorite)

I also substitute simple veggies for well known carbs. You can always serve the carb option for your family (most kids would prefer to keep the tortilla in a taco, and kids need those carbs for energy and growing bodies!)

Bread, tortillas, chips, french fries, etc. => lettuce wraps, sliced and oven roasted veggies

Noodles => "zoodles" (shredded zucchini), spaghetti squash

When in doubt? add more veggies and/or cut out the carbs completely, and up that protein to help keep you full! 



Take tacos for example. 

Usually, I would have served tacos with tortillas. Tonight however, I served them on top of zucchini. 

(adapted from this recipe here: http://thefithousewife.com/2015/06/turkey-taco-zucchini-boats.html/)



Zucchini Taco Boats
serves 4

1 lb ground beef or turkey, seasoned with a simple taco seasoning (I get the premade one, but you can make your own with a little cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper, onion powder)
4 medium zucchini, sliced in half length wise (I also cut them in half cross-wise again)
1/2 c Mexican cheese
1 c re-fried beans (to help the meat stick to the zucchini)

for toppings: 
2 small, ripe avocados, mashed
2-3 TBSP fresh or organic salsa per person

Brown meat in skillet and add in desired seasonings for taco flava. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350. Spray a baking dish lightly with cooking spray. 
Slice zucchini in half length wise, and then cross wise for smaller bites. Spread re-fried beans on the squash surface. lay in baking dish. Top with meat spread out over all the squash. Sprinkle with Mexican cheese. Bake 20 min or until zucchini is tender and cheese is melted. 

Serve with desired toppings! Enjoy!

If you like these tips, be sure to subscribe to my blog for a weekly meal tip or clean eating tip!

Today marks day one of my clean eating group! if you'd like a daily tip this week, I can add you to this free group! Just send me your email on https://www.facebook.com/danet.peterson via personal message, or via email: swimwriter312@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment