Monday, April 18, 2016

When a Baby Smiles

When a Baby Smiles

When a baby smiles up at empty space, or at the ceiling tall,
Do you believe
That they can see an angel
In some celestial place?
Do you believe their smiles
Speak of times once spent in heaven?

Do you believe their laughs and coos
Are conversations that they have
With friends they miss so dearly?
With friends they know they'll meet in time
Down here on Earth one day?

When baby smiles up at the wall,
Do you believe they're looking
Through a well lit window,
Into heaven's light prone state?

When a baby smiles at you or me,
Do you get a special feeling
That they know so much more than you,
about a special place in heaven
Where all the babies play together
Before they come to Earth?

When a baby smiles up at you,
And then looks over your shoulder
With a knowing and in awe,
Do you ever feel that they could be
Looking into Christ's laughing eyes?

I'd like to think my babies
Have that special bond with heaven;
Where the veil is thin and they still see
And talk with special friends;
friends and family who have yet to come
Down here to earth to greet them,
And then perhaps some certain friends
Who's stay on Earth was brief.

I know my children came to me
From a special place in heaven.
I know they have a place with me
That none but me can share.
I know their smiles and grins,
Oft to  those I cannot see
Are a testimony of just how fresh their spirit is
When they come here to Earth with me.


Today has been a hard day of motherhood. One where I've felt literally in the trenches of my role as a mother. But tonight as Tatum was nursing before bed, she suddenly stopped, and looked up, off into empty space in the ceiling. She was cooing and more talkative than she has ever been before. Her little smiles and half laughs were not directed to me I felt, because the spirit that was there in the little room in our home where she and I were having some special time before bed was SO strong it brought tears to my eyes. I feel certain the veil must be so thin for all little children as they first come to earth. I honestly feel like the veil that we as adults cannot see through is so thin for all children until they come to a certain age that they must rely on faith to walk the path of life, as we all must at some point.

I'm so grateful for my role as a mother. Today was hard, for many reasons I don't need to dwell on. But seeing this special reminder of just how close my little baby girl is to heaven was exactly what I needed today. Days as a mother with whiny children never seem to end. But in the end the hugs, the snuggles, the smiles--those are what we remember right? And what we remember most is all that matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment