Thursday, April 14, 2016

One meal now, one meal later!


One meal now...one meal later!

I saw a series like this on a friend's blog and I think it's totally GENIUS. 

I already do this, but now I'm sharing it. (duh... don't know why I didn't think to share it earlier!)

Honestly, one of my least favorite things to do (despite all my pretty food pictures) is spend a TON of time making a meal. Especially dinner. I want dinner to be done as quick as possible so I can spend time with my little family, talk to my husband, etc. 

That means dinner either needs to be a crock pot meal with minimal other prep, a freezer meal that just needs reheated, or very simple for the evening. 

I'll be trying to share a freezer meal once a week as part of a "one meal now, one meal later series." we'll see how long I can keep it going. 

Don't forget to subscribe to my blog if you'd like to keep getting weekly emails with updated posts. I know not everyone sees it on Facebook or Instagram!

Alright....down to recipe business!


Chicken Parmesan and Parmesan Zucchini Bites!

Chicken Parmesan 
serves 4
4-5 medium (6-8 oz) chicken breasts, sliced in half (pretend you're making a sandwich of chicken when you slice it. You want it thin) 
3 eggs, beaten lightly in a bowl and set aside
1 to 1 1/2  c Italian whole wheat bread crumbs (regular is fine too)
1/2 c motzerella cheese
1/2 Parmesan cheese, grated 
1/2 to 1 c Homemade marinara sauce

Preheat oven to 350. Coat chicken in egg, then dip lightly in breadcrumbs. Lay into oiled baking dishes. Bake for 30-35 min. Turn off oven. Top chicken with 2-3 tbsp of sauce per piece. Sprinkle cheeses and serve after cheese melts. Great when complimented with the zucchini Parmesan bites! 

**For homemade sauce, I use this recipe with a tad alteration-- http://varietybyvashti.org/2014/05/13/free-seasonings/
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (low or no salt is best)
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 1-2 TBSP honey (to offset the acidity of the tomatoes)
  • 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • Italian seasoning, to taste
Stir the ingredients in a pan and simmer for 20-30 minutes.  If necessary, add just a pinch of sugar or Stevia to remove the tartness.
So there you have it!  Freeze your extra meal in a tinfoil container, or in ziploc baggies if you're cheap like me. It'll freeze well for about 2 months! (this recipe serves 2-3 people, so do the math and double up ingredients!)

Zucchini Parmesan bites:
Serves 2
2 zucchini, sliced length wise into eight pieces 
Drizzle or spray with 2 tsp olive oil then sprinkle on spices
1/2 tsp garlic powder 
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 c Parmesan cheese, sprinkled over the top of the zucchini
Preheat oven to 350. Bake for 12-15 min or until zucchini is tender when forked.

I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as I do! 

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment