Monday, May 2, 2016

Clean Eating Series: Breakfast of Champions!

Clean Eating Series
Breakfast of Champions!

Recently I had a request to share my top breakfast "go to" meals for being a busy mom. I usually have time to "make" breakfast so if you're hoping for super quick ideas, I'll do my best to share how you can cut back on time.

So first of all, I pretty much ALWAYS eat breakfast twice. I have a normal breakfast, then I have my Shakeology. :) First breakfast, as I like to call it, I usually have either eggs as the protein with veggies and a carb, or I eat cottage cheese mixed with plain Greek yogurt (Fage` brand from Coscto is my fav) and some fresh fruit with a carb (like homemade granola

1. Shakeology: If you're looking for something fast, filling, nutritious, and sure to give you energy while you run out the door, then you've GOT to try this. I LOVE having my shake every day. It tastes delicious and is super filling! 




Fun facts about Shakeology: 


*It's a meal replacement, so if you have six small meals a day (which is healthy for most people) then you would replace one of those small meals with shakeology). 
*It tastes awesome when you mix it well (just follow my instructions and you should be good!)
*It will help you with digestion issues. I had a lot of digestive issues before I started drinking it. Now I'm very "regular" haha.
*There are over 70 organic superfoods from their original sources in a single serving. Nutritionally, it's impossible for us to get that kind of nutrients from the foods we have available in our culture. 
*It will help with energy and weightloss over time and when combined with proper diet and exercise. 
*You'll get 5-7 full servings of fruits and veggies in each serving. 
*Probiotics, prebiotics, enzymes, and vitamins are present in the ingredients. 
*Shakeology has been clinically proven to help with weight loss and sustain healthy habits.
*It helps reduce sugar and junk food cravings, and keeps you full longer because of the fiber content. 

I could keep going--If you have any questions about it then please don't hesitate to ask!

2. Scrambled (or done the way you like them) Eggs and Whole Wheat Toast or oatmeal with fresh fruit



I love love LOVE to add in frozen spinach, chopped bell peppers, pretty much any veggie you can think of would be good with eggs.

Veggie egg scramble 
(pair with toast or 1/2 c cooked oatmeal) 
1 tsp coconut oil (olive oil is fine too)
2 large eggs 
1/4 c chopped peppers 
1 tsp chopped dried onions or 1tbsp raw onions 
1/4 c frozen spinach
1-2 tbsp cheese 
Salt and pepper to taste 

*TIPS: 
- make your oatmeal ahead of time for a week. 1/4 dry + 1/2 c water yields 1 serving, so you do the math! Oatmeal is filling and if all you have to do is get it made on the weekend, then you're totally gold for the week!

- Chop up fresh fruit ahead of time and store in a container, OR freeze it to warm up with oatmeal. I prefer it fresh personally. ;) 

3. Overnight Oats 
(serve with a protein of choice--I like yogurt or cottage cheese--you can even add in the yogurt or cottage cheese to the oatmeal recipe)
photo/recipe credit: http://www.melanieeynon.com/2014/10/refrigerator-oatmeal-21-day-fix-style.html
Directions:
1/4 c dry oats (steel cut is preferred for texture)
1/2 c almond milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract or honey for light sweetener

(optional add ins: chia seed, flax seed, cranberries, chopped fruit like apples, pumpkin spice, cocoa powder, etc.)
pour all ingredients into a jar and wah-lah! You've got breakfast ready to grab and go in the morning!

4. Cheesy Egg Toast

  • 1 slice whole wheat bread
  • 1 egg
  • 1-2 tsp cheese
  • Salt pepper to taste 
  • Serves 1Y and 1/2 R plus part of Blue

5. Protein Oats

1/3 c oats

2 egg whites 
1/2 c water
1 tsp vanilla 
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp sea salt


Microwave for 2-2.5 min. (also tastes great with PB)
Serve with a splash of almond milk and your fruit of choice! 


Just a few other ideas from my pinterest board: I personally haven't made all of these, but they're good "make ahead for a week at a time" kinda meals. 

Veggie Egg Cups (I plan to make these next week, so I'll update with my recipe when I do!)
http://mrs.fitness/vegetable-egg-cups/ (see MY edition here

Strawberry and Ricotta Stuffed French Toast (for a weekend treat...these just sound amazing)
http://disfooddiary.com/?p=672

I wish I could say I had more ideas, but honestly, breakfast is usually a simple affair over here! When I go out of the way to make it more yummy, it takes more time, but if you want simple, pick 2 proteins and alternate them every couple days and pair with your fav healthy carb. 

 I don't often have to prep breakfast--my main focus is dinner, but the above ideas should give you a little something to rely on in a pinch as long as you prep ahead of time!

No comments:

Post a Comment